Grilled Salsa Roja
September 22, 2018
: About 3 cups
- 8 plum tomatoes, cored
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 4 Serrano chiles
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup (packed) cilantro leaves with tender stems
- Kosher salt
- Step 1 Prepare a grill for high heat.
- Step 2 Grill tomatoes, onion, and chiles, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and fragrant, about 4 minutes for chiles and 6–8 minutes for tomatoes and onion.
- Step 3 Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Step 4 Purée tomatoes, onion, chiles, garlic, and cilantro in a blender until mostly smooth and only small pieces remain.
- Step 5 Season with salt.