Turkey Meatloaf with BBQ Glaze
September 16, 2018
: 12 servings
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground dark meat turkey
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- BBQ Glaze:
- One 14-ounce bottle ketchup
- One 12-ounce bottle chili sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 In a small skillet over medium-low heat, add 2 teaspoons of the oil and heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the onion and cook until softened and brown, about 10 minutes.
- Step 4 Add the parsley and cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 5 Remove the mixture and set aside to cool.
- Step 6 Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the same skillet.
- Step 7 Add the carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Step 8 Place the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, ketchup, egg, the onion mixture, 1 teaspoon salt and some pepper in a food processor and pulse until fully combined.
- Step 9 Transfer to a large bowl and add the carrots.
- Step 10 Mix until combined.
- Step 11 Form into a loaf and transfer to a casserole dish or baking sheet.
- Step 12 Using a pastry brush spread the BBQ Glaze over the top.
- Step 13 Drape the bacon over the loaf in a crisscross pattern, tucking the ends underneath.
- Step 14 Brush more glaze over the bacon layer.
- Step 15 Bake until firm and cooked through, 55 to 60 minutes.
- Step 16 Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Step 17 BBQ Glaze:
- Step 18 Stir together the ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard and 1/3 cup water in a large saucepan.
- Step 19 Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Step 20 Remove from the heat and set aside.