Salted Caramel Brownies
September 12, 2018
: 12 servings
- For the Brownies:
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 sticks sweet butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt, for dusting on top
- Step 1 Make Brownies:
- Step 2 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9″ square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Step 3 In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- Step 4 Remove from heat and let cool for 4 minutes.
- Step 5 Stir in cocoa powder and sugar until combined.
- Step 6 Gradually mix in eggs and vanilla until the batter is glossy.
- Step 7 In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Step 8 Gradually add mixture to brownie batter, stirring until just combined.
- Step 9 Pour into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with some brownie crumbs, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Step 10 Let brownies cool.
- Step 11 Make Caramel Sauce:
- Step 12 In a small saucepan over medium heat, add sugar and water and stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate.
- Step 13 Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Step 14 Increase heat to medium-high and let go until deeply golden, not stirring, 4 to5 minutes more.
- Step 15 Turn off heat and stir in butter and cream.
- Step 16 Mixture will bubble up so be careful!
- Step 17 Let cool slightly in pan, until beginning to thicken, and then pour over cooled brownies.
- Step 18 Sprinkle generously with sea salt.
- Step 19 Allow the caramel sauce to set, at least 20 minutes, before slicing.