Penne with Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese
September 19, 2018
: 4-6 servings
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 (2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 cup (8 ounces) goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 packed cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Step 1 Put an oven rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Step 2 Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Step 3 Spray a baking sheet, liberally, with canola oil cooking spray.
- Step 4 Set aside.
- Step 5 Mix the squash and onion together and arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Step 6 Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Step 7 Bake for to 40 to 45 minutes until the vegetables are golden and cooked through.
- Step 8 Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Step 9 While the squash mixture is cooling, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Step 10 Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Step 11 Drain and reserve about 2 cups of the pasta water.
- Step 12 Put the pasta, goat cheese and 1 cup of pasta water in a large serving bowl.
- Step 13 Toss until the cheese has melted and forms a creamy sauce.
- Step 14 Add the squash and onion mixture, the walnuts and the basil.
- Step 15 Toss well and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Step 16 Garnish with Parmesan.