September 19, 2018
: 6-8 servings
- 9 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces linguine
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup dried Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Step 2 Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish.
- Step 3 Melt 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil in a deep large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Step 4 Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Step 5 Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until pale golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Step 6 Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool slightly.
- Step 7 Coarsely shred the chicken into bite-size pieces and into a large bowl.
- Step 8 Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil to the same pan.
- Step 9 Add the mushrooms and saute over medium-high heat until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms become pale golden, about 12 minutes.
- Step 10 Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and saute until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Step 11 Add the wine and simmer until it evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Step 12 Transfer the mushroom mixture to the bowl with the chicken.
- Step 13 Melt 3 more tablespoons butter in the same pan over medium-low heat.
- Step 14 Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Step 15 Whisk in the milk, cream, broth, nutmeg, remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Step 16 Increase the heat to high.
- Step 17 Cover and bring to a boil.
- Step 18 Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 10 minutes.
- Step 19 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Step 20 Add the linguine and cook until it is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 9 minutes.
- Step 21 Drain.
- Step 22 Add the linguine, sauce, peas, and parsley to the chicken mixture.
- Step 23 Toss until the sauce coats the pasta and the mixture is well blended.
- Step 24 Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Step 25 Stir the cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend.
- Step 26 Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the pasta.
- Step 27 Dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Step 28 Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top and the sauce bubbles, about 25 minutes.