Macaroni & Cheddar Cheese
September 19, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole or 2 percent milk
- 3 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, a couple pinches kosher salt
- 1 pound elbow macaroni cooked 8 minutes or to al dente, with a little bite to it
- Step 1 Heat a medium, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Step 2 Add oil and butter.
- Step 3 When butter melts into the oil, add flour and combine.
- Step 4 Gently cook, whisking flour and butter together, until smooth and flour has had a chance to cook, about 3 minutes.
- Step 5 Slowly add milk while continuing to whisk.
- Step 6 Gently bring milk to a bubble while stirring frequently.
- Step 7 Allow the milk to thicken a bit, then stir in 2 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese a handful at a time.
- Step 8 Season sauce with nutmeg and cayenne.
- Step 9 Taste and add a little salt, if you like.
- Step 10 Add cooked pasta to sauce and coat completely by turning over and over in the cheese sauce.
- Step 11 Transfer to a baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Step 12 Place baking dish under a hot broiler and brown the Cheddar cheese on top.