Lemon Chicken with Golden Raisins
September 19, 2018
: 10 servings
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 medium skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 large white onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 small thin-skinned lemons thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Step 1 In a small bowl, soak the raisins in 1/2 cup of warm water until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Step 2 Drain the raisins.
- Step 3 Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Step 4 Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and add the breasts to the skillet.
- Step 5 Cook over moderately high heat until golden on the bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Turn the breasts and cook until golden, about 4 minutes longer.
- Step 7 Transfer to a plate.
- Step 8 Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in the skillet and repeat the process with the thighs.
- Step 9 Heat the remaining 1/2-tablespoon of oil in the skillet.
- Step 10 Add the onion and sauté over moderately high heat until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Step 11 Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 12 Arrange the thighs in the middle of the skillet and the breasts around the sides.
- Step 13 Slip the lemon slices, sautéed onion and raisins between the chicken pieces and sprinkle with the cumin.
- Step 14 Pour the chicken stock into the skillet and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat.
- Step 15 Cover and simmer until the breasts are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Step 16 Transfer the breasts to a large deep platter and cover with foil.
- Step 17 Continue simmering the thighs, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes longer.
- Step 18 Add to the platter and surround with the lemon slices.
- Step 19 Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.