Ragout of Chicken with Potatoes & Chorizo
September 19, 2018
: 10 servings
- Two 3 1/2 -pound chickens, necks, gizzards and hearts reserved
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, halved
- 4 cups water
- 10 medium fingerling potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 -inch chunks
- 1 pound medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2 -inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound chorizo
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 -inch chunks
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 thyme sprig
- Step 1 Using sturdy kitchen shears, cut along both sides of the backbones of both chickens.
- Step 2 Remove the backbones and cut each one into 3 pieces.
- Step 3 Cut off the chicken wing tips, and then cut each chicken into 8 pieces.
- Step 4 Put the backbones and wing tips in a large saucepan along with the reserved necks, gizzards and hearts.
- Step 5 Add the carrot, shallot and water, cover and bring to a simmer over moderately low heat.
- Step 6 Cook until the water is reduced to 3 cups, about 1 hour.
- Step 7 Strain the broth, pressing hard on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Step 8 Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.
- Step 9 Add the potatoes and cook until just tender, about 25 minutes.
- Step 10 Drain the potatoes and let cool slightly, then peel them.
- Step 11 Cut the potatoes in half if they seem large.
- Step 12 Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet until shimmering.
- Step 13 Add the potatoes and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden all over, about 5 minutes.
- Step 14 Transfer the potatoes to a large plate.
- Step 15 Add 2 more tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering.
- Step 16 Add the zucchini and yellow squash chunks, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Step 17 Add the vegetables to the potatoes on the plate.
- Step 18 Pierce the chorizo and add it to the skillet.
- Step 19 Cook the chorizo over moderately high heat, turning, until browned all over, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Step 20 Drain on paper towels and cut it into 1/4-inch slices.
- Step 21 Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Step 22 Spread the flour on a plate.
- Step 23 Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, and coat with the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Step 24 Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet until shimmering.
- Step 25 Add half the chicken pieces to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until crisp and golden all over, about 8 minutes.
- Step 26 Transfer to a large platter.
- Step 27 Repeat the process with another 1/4 cup of olive oil and the remaining chicken.
- Step 28 Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole.
- Step 29 Add the red bell peppers, onion and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring often, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Step 30 Raise the heat to moderately high and add the tomatoes, white wine, bay leaves and thyme sprig.
- Step 31 Simmer the mixture until the liquid is nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Step 32 Add the browned chicken pieces along with the reserved 3 cups of broth and bring back to a simmer.
- Step 33 Cover partially and cook over low heat until the chicken is tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
- Step 34 Add the cooked chorizo to the casserole and cook for 5 minutes.
- Step 35 Stir in the cooked potatoes, zucchini and squash and cook over moderate heat until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Step 36 Transfer the ragout to a platter and serve.