Young Chicken with Red Wine Sauce
September 16, 2018
: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 young chickens or Cornish hens 12 to 16 ounces each, first two wing joints removed, backbone removed and butterflied (flattened)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced turnips
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup canned plum tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup crumbled crisp cooked bacon
- Step 1 Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet.
- Step 3 Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and brown well on both sides before removing and placing in an ovenproof casserole.
- Step 4 To the skillet in which you cooked the chicken, add the onions, carrots, turnips, thyme, and garlic, and sauté until the vegetables begin to wilt.
- Step 5 Add the red wine, plum tomatoes, and chicken stock to the vegetables, and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Step 6 Pour the vegetable mixture over the chicken in the heatproof casserole and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Step 7 When the chicken has finished cooking, add the cooked, crumbled bacon to the casserole, and serve.