September 20, 2018
: About 4 dozen mini meatballs
- 5 slices of packaged white sandwich bread
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Step 1 Preheat the broiler.
- Step 2 In a large bowl, soak the bread in the milk for 1 minute, until softened.
- Step 3 Squeeze out the excess milk and return the bread to the bowl.
- Step 4 Add the eggs, onion, salt, paprika, dry mustard, pepper and mace and mix until smooth.
- Step 5 Add the ground beef and mix until evenly combined.
- Step 6 Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with oil.
- Step 7 Using a 2-tablespoon-size ice cream scoop, form the meat into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Step 8 Roll until smooth.
- Step 9 Transfer the meatballs to the baking sheet and brush the tops with oil.
- Step 10 Broil 10 inches from the heat for about 10 minutes, shifting the sheet occasionally, until the meatballs are sizzling and browned.
- Step 11 Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, combine the ketchup, jelly, sherry and Worcestershire.
- Step 12 Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a simmer, whisking until the jelly is melted.
- Step 13 Using a slotted spoon, add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer over low heat until thickly glazed, about 15 minutes.
- Step 14 Transfer the meatballs to a bowl and serve with picks.