Smoked Chicken Wings
September 22, 2018
: 12 servings
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 12 medium chicken wings (leave drumettes attached)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small jar store-bought barbecue rub
- Step 1 In a large bowl, stir the salt and sugar into 8 cups water until dissolved.
- Step 2 Add the chicken wings and let sit at room temperature 1 hour.
- Step 3 Dry off the wings with a paper towel and season with pepper and a bit of the barbecue rub.
- Step 4 Place the wood chunks directly on the burner of a grill, under the grate.
- Step 5 Close the lid and turn all the burners to high until the chunks start to smoke, about 15 minutes.
- Step 6 Turn off all the other burners except the primary burner with the wood chunks.
- Step 7 Using a rib rack, suspend the wings on the cooler side of the grill.
- Step 8 Close and smoke the wings, maintaining a temperature of 250 to 275 degrees F., until the meat registers 165 to 170 degrees F., about 1 hour.