German Potato Salad
September 21, 2018
: 4 servings
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, for garnish
- Step 1 Place the potatoes in a medium-size pot and cover them with enough water to extend 2 inches above the surface of the potatoes.
- Step 2 Salt the water and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Step 3 Continue cooking until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 4 Drain and slice into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Step 5 Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Step 6 Once crisp, place on a paper towel-lined plate and crumble into small pieces.
- Step 7 Pour off the rendered fat, reserving 1/4 cup in the pan.
- Step 8 Turn the heat to medium and add the onion.
- Step 9 Cook until translucent and just beginning to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Step 10 Whisk in the vinegar, sugar, mustard, and salt and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Step 11 Add the sliced, cooked potatoes and toss to coat.
- Step 12 Top with the crumbled bacon and garnish with the chives.
- Step 13 Serve warm.