Roman Summer Salad
September 21, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup pitted green and black olives, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes)
- Step 1 Cook the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until thick, syrupy, and measuring 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Step 2 Set aside to cool.
- Step 3 Combine the olives, parsley, anchovies, capers, garlic, basil, pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl and toss to combine.
- Step 4 To serve, slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds and place, slightly overlapping, on a serving plate.
- Step 5 Spoon the olive and parsley mixture over the tomatoes.
- Step 6 Drizzle the reduced balsamic over the salad and serve.