Baked Rigatoni with Béchamel Sauce
September 20, 2018
: 6 servings
- 1 stick sweet butter (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart whole milk, at room temperature
- Pinch fresh nutmeg
- Sea salt and white pepper
- 1 cup grated fontina
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned
- 1 pound dry rigatoni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Step 2 In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Step 3 Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Step 4 Always stirring, gradually add the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Step 5 Simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, 1/2 cup fontina, prosciutto and season with salt and white pepper.
- Step 7 Set aside.
- Step 8 In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water.
- Step 9 Add the rigatoni and cook for about 5 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard.
- Step 10 Drain in a colander.
- Step 11 Return pasta to the pot and pour in béchamel sauce.
- Step 12 Using a wooden spoon, mix well until all the pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Step 13 Into a greased 13-by-9-inch baking dish, pour the pasta with cream sauce.
- Step 14 Smooth out top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup fontina.
- Step 15 Dot the top with diced butter and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until bubbling and the top is golden brown.