Orecchiette with Shrimp Pancetta & Fresno Chiles
September 20, 2018
: 6-8 servings
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound orecchiette
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces pancetta, cut into medium dice
- 8 ounces large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 small Fresno chile peppers, seeded and sliced into very thin rings
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh green or purple basil leaves
- Step 1 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Step 2 When the water is thoroughly boiling, add the pasta, and cook according to the package directions until al dente.
- Step 3 In a large skillet or shallow Dutch oven over medium-low heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the pancetta to render the fat and crisp it, about 8 minutes.
- Step 4 Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Step 5 Pour off and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from the skillet.
- Step 6 Raise the heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Step 7 When the oil is hot, add the shrimp, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Step 8 Stir quickly and often so the garlic does not burn, 2 minutes at the most. The shrimp should be slightly undercooked.
- Step 9 Remove the shrimp to a warm bowl.
- Step 10 Move the skillet off the heat.
- Step 11 Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Step 12 Add the hot pasta to the skillet or Dutch oven and return to medium heat.
- Step 13 Add the pancetta, shrimp, and reserved pasta water.
- Step 14 Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Step 15 Toss and stir until the juices are combined and the shrimp is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Step 16 Remove from the heat and add the chile peppers, cheese, and basil.
- Step 17 Do not stir.