Fricassee of Chicken with Winter Vegetables
September 16, 2018
: 6 servings
- 6 large chicken thighs, skin and bones removed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups leeks, well washed and cut in 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 cups carrots, scrubbed and cut on diagonal
- 1/4-inch thick 1 1/2 cups fennel or celery cut in thick slices crosswise
- 1 1/2 cups parsnips or turnips cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup sliced crimini or button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon slivered garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups rich chicken stock
- 1 large (3/4-pound) red or white potato cut in thick julienne
- 1 cup diced seeded fresh or drained canned tomatoes
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Swiss chard or spinach
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley and grated lemon zest
- Step 1 In a large casserole, sauté the chicken in two tablespoons of olive oil until lightly browned on all sides.
- Step 2 Season well with salt and pepper.
- Step 3 Remove chicken and set aside.
- Step 4 Discard fat in casserole and add the leeks, carrots, fennel, parsnips, mushrooms and garlic with remaining 1-tablespoon oil and sauté over moderate heat until lightly colored.
- Step 5 Add the pepper flakes, oregano, bay leaf, fennel seed, wine and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Step 6 Add reserved chicken thighs pushing them down into vegetable mixture.
- Step 7 Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 8 Add potatoes, tomatoes and chard and cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes more or until potatoes are just tender.
- Step 9 Serve in warm wide rim soup plates with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley and grated lemon zest if desired.