Roast Pheasant with Heather & Whiskey Raspberry Gravy
September 16, 2018
: 4 servings
- 6 to 8 sprigs heather
- 2 tablespoons Scotch whisky
- 2 pheasants
- 1 pint raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter softened
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 thin slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup well-reduced veal or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- Step 1 Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2 Set aside 4 small sprigs of heather for decoration, and crush the rest with a rolling pin to bruise and release flavors.
- Step 3 Pour the whisky over the heather on a plate and leave to soak.
- Step 4 Crush 1/2 of the pint of raspberries and put them inside the pheasants.
- Step 5 Spread the birds with softened butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Step 6 Wrap them in bacon, securing the whisky-soaked heather inside.
- Step 7 Tie the birds with string and set them in a small roasting pan.
- Step 8 Pour over any whisky from the heather.
- Step 9 Roast the birds in the oven, basting them often and turning them from time to time so they brown evenly, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Step 10 When done they should be well browned and the legs will wiggle when pulled.
- Step 11 Tip raspberries from the birds into the pan.
- Step 12 Transfer bird to a carving board and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Step 13 For gravy: stir flour into the pan juices and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes until browned.
- Step 14 Add stock and bring the gravy to a boil, stirring to dissolve pan juices.
- Step 15 Simmer it 2 minutes or until concentrated, then strain into a small pan.
- Step 16 Whisk in red currant jelly and heat until melted.
- Step 17 Stir in remaining raspberries and cook 1 to 2 minutes until just soft.
- Step 18 Taste gravy and adjust the seasoning.
- Step 19 Using poultry shears discard string from the pheasants and cut them in half, discarding backbone.
- Step 20 Arrange them overlapping on a serving dish or on individual plates.
- Step 21 Spoon over the raspberries with a little gravy, serving the rest separately.
- Step 22 Decorate the pheasants with heather sprigs.