Savory Baked Cod
September 5, 2018
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can low-fat cream of celery soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (6 ounce) fillets cod fillets
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Step 1 Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Step 2 Cook orzo in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
- Step 3 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Step 4 Grease a 13×9-inch baking dish with some of the butter.
- Step 5 Stir tomatoes, cream of celery soup, and capers together in the prepared dish.
- Step 6 Bake tomato mixture in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Step 7 Stir orzo into the tomato mixture.
- Step 8 Melt remaining butter with olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Step 9 Season cod with salt and pepper.
- Step 10 Fry in the butter mixture until browned, about 90 seconds per side.
- Step 11 Transfer browned cod to the baking dish.
- Step 12 Pour any drippings from the skillet over the cod fillets.
- Step 13 Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the cod.
- Step 14 Bake in the preheated oven until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 20 minutes.