Roast Goose with Fruit Stuffing
September 23, 2018
: 8-10 servings
- 1 10 to 12-lb frozen goose, properly thawed
- 2/3 cup sweet butter, or goose fat
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 cups day old bread cubes
- 2 1/2 cups chopped, un-pared apples
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, dried apricots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2 In 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, cook celery and onion in hot butter or fat until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Step 3 Add bread cubes, apples, apricots, salt, pepper, and thyme leaves.
- Step 4 Remove from heat.
- Step 5 Remove neck and giblets from goose. (Cook in water to cover, with onion, celery, and seasonings to make gravy.)
- Step 6 Remove excess fat from body cavity and neck skin.
- Step 7 Rinse goose.
- Step 8 Pat dry with paper towels.
- Step 9 Wings may be removed at second joint and cooked with neck and giblets, or leave wings attached and bend them to the back.
- Step 10 Fill neck and body cavities with fruit-stuffing mixture.
- Step 11 Fasten neck skin to back with skewers.
- Step 12 Tie legs together or tuck in band of skin at tail.
- Step 13 Place goose, breast-side up, on rack in large roasting pan.
- Step 14 Insert meat thermometer deep into inside thigh muscle, not touching any bone.
- Step 15 Roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Step 16 Reduce temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Step 17 Continue roasting 2 to 2 1/2 hours longer or until meat thermometer reaches 180 degrees F.
- Step 18 During roasting, spoon off accumulated fat at 30 minute intervals.
- Step 19 Transfer goose to platter.
- Step 20 Remove skewer or string from legs.
- Step 21 Allow resting about 20 minutes for easier carving.
- Step 22 Remove stuffing during the resting period and keep warm until ready to serve.