Sausage & Pepper Skewers
September 22, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 bell peppers (red and yellow), cut into chunks
- 1 (12-ounce) package chicken sausage (preferably garlic-flavored), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Step 1 Soak eight 8-inch skewers in water, at least 15 minutes.
- Step 2 Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high.
- Step 3 Prepare the couscous as the label directs.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, toss the bell peppers, sausage, onion and tomatoes in a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Step 5 Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 6 Thread onto the skewers, alternating the sausage and vegetables.
- Step 7 Grill, turning, until the vegetables are slightly softened and the sausage begins to brown, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Step 8 Meanwhile, puree the parsley, cilantro and green onions in a blender with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the vinegar and 2 tablespoons water.
- Step 9 Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 10 Brush the skewers with some of the pesto and continue to cook, turning, until the tomatoes are tender and the sausage is charred, 6 to 7 more minutes.
- Step 11 Toss the couscous with half of the remaining pesto and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 12 Serve with the skewers and the remaining pesto, for dipping.