Loaded Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
September 21, 2018
: 4 servings
- 2 small tomatoes (about 8 ounces total), diced
- Kosher salt
- 1 small red onion, minced
- White wine vinegar, for soaking onion
- 4 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 ounces fresh bread crumbs (about 1/2 cup)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces mild blue cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, outer leaves discarded and quartered through core so that each quarter holds together
- Minced chives, for garnish
- Step 1 Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and add diced tomatoes.
- Step 2 Sprinkle liberally with salt, and toss to combine.
- Step 3 In a small bowl, add onion and pour enough vinegar on top to cover.
- Step 4 Let tomatoes and onions stand while you prep the other ingredients.
- Step 5 In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisped, about 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Step 7 You should have about 2 tablespoons rendered fat in the skillet.
- Step 8 Add bread crumbs and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Step 9 Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Step 10 In a medium bowl, mash blue cheese with a whisk.
- Step 11 Whisk in mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice until a smooth, slightly lumpy dressing forms.
- Step 12 Season with pepper (the blue cheese will likely make the dressing salty enough, but taste and add salt if necessary).
- Step 13 Arrange iceberg wedges on plates and spoon dressing on each.
- Step 14 Drain quick-pickled onions and sprinkle all over salads, along with drained tomatoes (discard any extracted liquid), bacon, toasted bread crumbs, and chives.