Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa
September 19, 2018
: 6 servings
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and juice reserved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) package fresh spinach, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 2 Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and arrange red bell peppers in dish.
- Step 3 Roast peppers in the preheated oven until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Step 4 Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Step 5 Cook and stir onion until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Add garlic, cumin, salt, and black pepper to onion.
- Step 7 Cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Step 8 Mix tomatoes, chicken broth, quinoa, and carrot into onion mixture.
- Step 9 Cook until quinoa is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Step 10 Stir black beans and spinach into quinoa mixture, adding reserved tomato juice if mixture is dry.
- Step 11 Spoon quinoa mixture into roasted red peppers and top with Mexican cheese blend.
- Step 12 Bake in the oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.