Lemon Chicken Soup with Dumplings
September 16, 2018
: 8 servings
- 2 pounds chicken bones (such as necks and backs)
- 2 large carrots cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved
- 12 cups water
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2/3 cup matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sparkling water
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten and divided
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Step 2 Arrange first 4 ingredients on a jelly-roll pan.
- Step 3 Bake at 425 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until browned.
- Step 4 Combine chicken mixture, 12 cups water, and bay leaf in a stockpot over high heat.
- Step 5 Bring to a boil.
- Step 6 Reduce heat to low, and simmer gently for 2 hours, skimming fat and foam from surface occasionally.
- Step 7 Strain stock through a fine sieve into a large bowl.
- Step 8 Discard solids.
- Step 9 Skim fat from surface of stock.
- Step 10 Discard fat.
- Step 11 Return stock to pan.
- Step 12 Stir in turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Step 13 Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, matzo meal, and the next 5 ingredients (through pepper).
- Step 14 Add 2 eggs.
- Step 15 Stir until combined.
- Step 16 Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Step 17 With moist hands, shape the mixture into 24 (1-inch) balls.
- Step 18 Bring stock to a simmer (do not boil).
- Step 19 Add dumplings to stock, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Step 20 Add chicken, and continue cooking 15 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Step 21 Remove pan from heat.
- Step 22 Remove chicken from stock, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Step 23 Cut chicken into thin slices.
- Step 24 Return to pan.
- Step 25 Remove 1 cup hot broth mixture.
- Step 26 Place remaining 1 egg in a medium bowl.
- Step 27 Gradually add 1 cup hot broth mixture to egg, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Step 28 Slowly pour beaten egg mixture into pan, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Step 29 Stir in lemon juice, and sprinkle with dill.