White Bean Sausage & Turnip Green Stew
September 16, 2018
: 2 quarts
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 (1 pound) package fresh chopped turnip greens
- 2 cups diced smoked sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium turnips (about 1 pound), chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-oz.) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (32-oz.) container reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Step 1 Bring 2 quarts water and 1/4 cup kosher salt to a boil in a large stockpot over high heat.
- Step 2 Add turnip greens, and boil 5 minutes or until tender.
- Step 3 Drain.
- Step 4 Cook sausage in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until browned.
- Step 5 Stir in turnips, and cook 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Add leeks and next 3 ingredients, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until leeks are tender.
- Step 7 Increase heat to high.
- Step 8 Add turnip greens and chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Step 9 Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Step 10 Stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, black pepper, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.