September 15, 2018
: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 to 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2 Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet.
- Step 3 Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent.
- Step 4 Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Step 5 Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Step 6 Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Step 7 Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
- Step 8 Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water.
- Step 9 Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes.
- Step 10 Drain.
- Step 11 In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Step 12 Set aside.
- Step 13 Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish.
- Step 14 Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one 1/3 of the sauce.
- Step 15 Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce.
- Step 16 Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
- Step 17 Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.