Pan Roasted Chicken with Oyster Dressing
September 15, 2018
: 4 servings
- 2 dozen shucked oysters, with their liquid
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Kosher salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups cubed white bread
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 chicken breast, halved, bone removed, wings attached (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 cup shallot reduction (veal stock based), warm
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 2 Butter a 9 by 11-inch baking pan.
- Step 3 Drain the oysters, reserving 2 cups of the liquor and set aside.
- Step 4 In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil.
- Step 5 When the oil is hot, sauté the onions, bell peppers and celery.
- Step 6 Season with salt and cayenne.
- Step 7 Sauté the vegetables until they are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Step 8 Add the bay leaves, garlic, parsley and Worcestershire.
- Step 9 Sauté for 1 minute.
- Step 10 Add the water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 11 Add the green onions, the oyster liquor, and the bread.
- Step 12 Mix until the mixture is incorporated.
- Step 13 Remove from the heat.
- Step 14 Turn the bread mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in the oysters and cheese.
- Step 15 Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Step 16 Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Step 17 Cool the mixture completely.
- Step 18 Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Step 19 Butter an 8 by 11 1/2 by 2-inch baking dish.
- Step 20 Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Step 21 Divide the garlic slices into 4 equal portions.
- Step 22 Lay the breast, skin side down, in the pan and place the garlic in the center of each breast.
- Step 23 Put 1/4 cup of the dressing on each breast, then carefully fold together, bringing the bottom end of the breast up to the wing section.
- Step 24 Drizzle with the lemon juice and sprinkle with the rosemary leaves.
- Step 25 Bake for 45 minutes.
- Step 26 Remove the pan from the oven.
- Step 27 Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Step 28 Place the pan on the stove and deglaze with the shallot reduction.
- Step 29 Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Step 30 Lay the chicken on a platter and spoon the reduction sauce over the top.
- Step 31 Garnish with the fresh rosemary sprigs, green onions, and peppers.