Red Cabbage with Bacon
September 11, 2018
: 6 servings
- 1 medium head red cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Step 1 In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 inch of water.
- Step 2 Place cabbage in basket.
- Step 3 Bring water to a boil.
- Step 4 Reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- Step 5 Steam, covered, 6-8 minutes or just until tender.
- Step 6 Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Step 7 Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Step 8 Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Step 9 Add onion to drippings.
- Step 10 Cook and stir over medium-high heat 4-6 minutes or until tender.
- Step 11 Stir in flour and brown sugar until blended.
- Step 12 Gradually stir in water and vinegar.
- Step 13 Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Step 14 Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 15 Stir in cabbage, bacon, salt and pepper.