Green Bean Casserole
September 11, 2018
: 6-8 servings
- 3 pounds green beans
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as button, cremini, shiitake), sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Step 1 Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Step 2 Add a big pinch of salt and the green beans.
- Step 3 Cook for about 5 minutes, the beans should still be crisp. They will be cooked more in the oven.
- Step 4 Drain them and set aside.
- Step 5 Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the green beans with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
- Step 6 Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 7 Tear the bread into 2-inch pieces, put them into a bowl, and add 1 tablespoon chives, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Step 8 Stir well to coat and spread onto a baking sheet.
- Step 9 Bake until the bread just starts to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
- Step 10 Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Step 11 Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Step 12 Add the mushrooms and shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Step 13 Pour in the heavy cream, add the remaining thyme and chives, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Step 14 Add the green beans and stir well.
- Step 15 Put the green bean mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with the croutons, and sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan.
- Step 16 Bake until everything is hot and bubbling, about 20 to 25 minutes.