Maple Baked Beans with Applewood Smoked Bacon
September 11, 2018
: 8-10 servings
- 4 thick strips applewood smoked bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 red onion, cut into small dice
- 1 green pepper, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 (14 1/2-ounce) cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- Step 1 In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, add the bacon and canola oil, turn the heat to medium-high and cook the bacon until it starts to crisp, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Add the red onions and green pepper, season with salt and pepper and saute over medium-high heat until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the beans, barbeque sauce, maple syrup, vinegar and mustard.
- Step 4 Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook the beans, about 45 minutes.
- Step 5 Remove the lid and cook uncovered until the sauce has reduced and thickened and the flavors have developed, about 15 minutes.
- Step 6 Just before serving, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.