Shrimp & Sausage Stew
January 13, 2019
- 4 pounds peeled, large raw shrimp
- 3 large onions cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 (15-oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 3 (14 1/2-oz.) cans diced tomatoes with zesty green chiles
- 5 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped and divided
- 1 (1-lb.) package spicy smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 cups uncooked jasmine or long-grain rice
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Step 1 Butterfly shrimp by making a deep slit down back of each from large end to tail, cutting to but not through inside curve of shrimp.
- Step 2 Devein shrimp.
- Step 3 Cook onions in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Step 4 Add tomato sauce, and cook, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 5 Add diced tomatoes with green chiles, celery, bell peppers, and 2 cups water.
- Step 6 Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Step 7 Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Step 8 Add 3 garlic cloves, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring in 1 to 2 cups of water as needed to maintain a stew-like consistency.
- Step 9 Stir in sausage, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring in 1 to 2 cups water as needed.
- Step 10 Skim grease from surface as needed.
- Step 11 Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions.
- Step 12 Stir green onions, parsley, Cajun seasoning, and remaining 3 garlic cloves into sausage mixture.
- Step 13 Simmer 10 minutes.
- Step 14 Add shrimp, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Step 15 Stir together 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup water.
- Step 16 Stir into shrimp-and-sausage mixture, stirring just until mixture is thick and glossy.
- Step 17 Serve with hot cooked rice.