Sausage & Bean Stew
September 16, 2018
: 4 quarts
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (48-oz.) container reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups dried great Northern beans
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- Garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, Parmesan cheese
- Step 1 Cut sausage into 2-inch pieces, and halve sausage pieces lengthwise, cutting to but not through other side.
- Step 2 Cook half of sausage in 1 tablespoon hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Step 3 Transfer sausage and drippings to a 7 quart slow cooker.
- Step 4 Repeat with remaining sausage and oil.
- Step 5 Add 1 cup broth to skillet, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Step 6 Boil 1 minute or until reduced by half.
- Step 7 Stir beans, next 8 ingredients, boiled broth mixture, 3 cups water, and remaining broth into slow cooker.
- Step 8 Cover and cook on HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender.
- Step 9 Discard cheese rind.
- Step 10 Stir mixture with rosemary sprig 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Step 11 Discard rosemary.
- Step 12 Remove 1 cup beans, and process in a blender 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Step 13 Stir pureed bean mixture into slow cooker. (Repeat procedure with 1 more cup beans, if a thicker consistency is desired.)