Wine Braised Oxtails
September 14, 2018
: 6 servings
- 2 (750ml) bottles dry red wine (preferably Burgundy)
- 1 dozen oxtail pieces (about 6 pounds total)
- 1/2 stick sweet butter
- 6 shallots
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium leeks (white parts only)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- 4 cups beef stock
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Step 2 In a 4- to 6-quart heavy saucepan boil wine until reduced by about half (about 3 1/4 cups).
- Step 3 Trim oxtails and pat dry.
- Step 4 Season oxtails with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 In a deep heavy ovenproof kettle just large enough to hold oxtails in one layer heat 1 tablespoon butter over moderately high heat until foam subsides and brown half of oxtails on all sides, transferring to a bowl.
- Step 6 Brown remaining oxtails in 1 tablespoon butter in same manner and transfer to bowl.
- Step 7 Coarsely chop shallots, garlic, carrots, leeks, onion, and celery.
- Step 8 Add vegetables to kettle and cook in 1 tablespoon butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Step 9 Arrange oxtails over vegetables and add reduced wine, herbs, and enough stock to just cover oxtails.
- Step 10 Bring liquid to a boil and braise oxtails, covered, in middle of oven 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until meat is very tender but not falling off the bone.
- Step 11 Transfer oxtails with a slotted spoon to a bowl and keep warm.
- Step 12 Pour braising liquid through a fine sieve into large saucepan and discard solids.
- Step 13 Boil liquid until thick, shiny, and reduced to about 1 3/4 cups and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
- Step 14 Serve oxtails and sauce with celery root puree or mashed potatoes.