Whole Roasted Fish with Herbs
September 17, 2018
: 2 servings
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) fish, such as snapper or bass, scaled, gutted and gills removed
- Kosher salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 lemon slices
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 bundle assorted fresh herbs, such as thyme, oregano, marjoram and parsley, plus some extra to lay the fish on while baking
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2 Make 3 diagonal slices about 1/2-inch deep on each side of the fish.
- Step 3 Salt and olive oil the fish generously.
- Step 4 Season the inside of the fish with salt and olive oil.
- Step 5 Place 4 lemon slices, the bay leaves, a bundle of the mixed herbs and 2 of the garlic cloves inside the body cavity.
- Step 6 Line a sheet tray with aluminum foil and arrange the remaining assorted herbs, lemon slices and garlic in the center of the tray and lay the fish on top.
- Step 7 Fold the aluminum foil up around the sides of the fish to create a sort of baking dish.
- Step 8 Add the white wine and place in the preheated oven and roast until the fish is just cooked through, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Step 9 Remove from oven, present and collect your kudos then fillet to serve.