Spicy Tortilla Soup
September 16, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/3 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded skinless cooked chicken (from a rotisserie chicken)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 ounces corn tortilla chips
- Step 1 Warm canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Step 2 Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Add garlic, chili powder and crushed red pepper.
- Step 4 Cook mixture for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Step 5 Stir in broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Step 6 Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Step 7 Stir in chicken and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 8 Season with salt.
- Step 9 Stir in hot sauce, cilantro.
- Step 10 Divide tortilla chips among 4 shallow soup bowls.
- Step 11 Ladle soup on top of chips and serve.