Risotto with Asparagus & Fennel
September 19, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1/2 pound asparagus, rough ends removed
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 medium bulbs fennel, with stalks trimmed and set aside
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- Step 1 Measure 4 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Step 2 Add asparagus stalks and 2 tablespoons salt.
- Step 3 Set up ice bath next to the pot.
- Step 4 Blanch asparagus for 1 minute, place in an ice bath and keep the asparagus cooking water until later.
- Step 5 In the meantime, chop fennel into 1/2-inch batons and place in a 12 to 14-inch fry pan with 3-inch sides.
- Step 6 Place over medium heat with olive oil and onion.
- Step 7 Cook over medium heat until softened but not browned.
- Step 8 Add rice and, stirring constantly, cook until rice turns opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Step 9 Add asparagus cooking water until it covers the rice.
- Step 10 Turn the heat up to high, stirring constantly, and cook the rice until the liquid level goes below the level of the rice.
- Step 11 Continue adding the warm asparagus cooking liquid, 1 ladle at a time, to maintain the liquid level above the rice for 15 minutes.
- Step 12 Drain asparagus and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Step 13 Add asparagus to rice and cook until rice is soft but still al dente.
- Step 14 Remove from heat, add butter, Parmigiano and parsley and stir through.
- Step 15 Serve immediately.