New Orleans Red Beans & Rice
September 13, 2018
: 6 servings
- 1 (1-pound) package red kidney beans
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 8-10 cups water
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 2 cups chopped seasoning blend (onions, celery, green bell peppers, parsley flakes)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 whole bay leaves
- Kosher salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- Hot cooked rice
- Step 1 Rinse and sort beans. (Optional: Soak beans using your preferred method.)
- Step 2 In large heavy pot, cook sliced sausage for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Add chopped seasoning blend and garlic to cooked sausage, along with 1/4 stick butter, and continue to cook until onions turn soft and clear.
- Step 4 Add beans, water, and bay leaf.
- Step 5 Bring to rolling boil for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Reduce heat.
- Step 7 Simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, until beans are desired tenderness.
- Step 8 Add salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning to taste.
- Step 9 Serve over hot cooked rice.