Mussels on the Half Shell with Parmesan & Garlic
September 17, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1/2 stick sweet butter, softened
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons panko
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 large, live mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Step 1 Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350 degrees F. to 450 degrees F.)
- Step 2 In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients and blend with a fork.
- Step 3 Brush the cooking grates clean.
- Step 4 Grill the mussels over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until they open, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Transfer the mussels to a plate.
- Step 6 Discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Step 7 Preheat the grill pan over direct medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Step 8 When the mussels are cool enough to handle, pull away the top shell, leaving the mussel in the bottom half of the shell.
- Step 9 Spoon 1 teaspoon of the topping on top of each mussel.
- Step 10 Place the mussels in a single layer on the grill pan.
- Step 11 Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until the topping is bubbling, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Step 12 Remove from the grill and top with the parsley.