Mini Scalloped Potatoes
September 13, 2018
: 6 servings
- Sweet butter, softened, for the ramekins
- 1 1/4 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter), unpeeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 Generously brush six 6-to-8-ounce ramekins with butter.
- Step 3 Combine the cheddar, parmesan, chives, flour and cayenne in a large bowl.
- Step 4 Thinly slice the potatoes a little less than 1/8 inch thick (a mandoline works well) and add to the cheese mixture.
- Step 5 Add 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper and toss to combine.
- Step 6 Divide half of the potato-cheese mixture among the prepared ramekins, filling them about halfway (arrange the potato slices so they go to the edge of the ramekins).
- Step 7 Top with half of the cream.
- Step 8 Repeat with the remaining potato-cheese mixture and cream.
- Step 9 Transfer the ramekins to a baking sheet, cover each with foil and bake until the liquid is bubbly and the potatoes begin to soften but are not completely cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Step 10 Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F., uncover the ramekins and bake until the potatoes are tender and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 11 Run a knife around the edges and let stand 10 minutes before serving.