Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Cakes
September 11, 2018
: 6 servings
- Sour Cream Topping:
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 green onions, green parts only, sliced
- Pinch sea salt
- Corn Cakes:
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Step 1 For the sour cream topping: Whisk together the sour cream, hot sauce, green onions and sea salt.
- Step 2 For the corn cakes: Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking soda in a large bowl until incorporated.
- Step 3 Whisk together the milk and eggs in a separate bowl.
- Step 4 Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and add the corn, cheese, butter and jalapenos and mix well.
- Step 5 Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Step 6 Use an ice-cream scoop to pour the batter for each cake.
- Step 7 Cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Step 8 About halfway through cooking, add the remaining oil to the skillet.
- Step 9 Transfer the cakes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
- Step 10 Serve warm with sour cream topping.