Italian Style Turkey Meatball Soup
September 16, 2018
: 6 servings
- 1 (14-oz.) package frozen turkey meatballs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped carrots (about 2 large)
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole plum tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 7 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 (6-oz.) package baby spinach
- Shaved fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Step 1 Sauté meatballs in 2 tablespoons hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, about 6 minutes or until browned.
- Step 2 Remove meatballs, using a slotted spoon.
- Step 3 Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and reduce heat to medium.
- Step 4 Sauté onion, carrots, and celery 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Step 5 Stir in garlic, salt, and red pepper.
- Step 6 Sauté 1 minute.
- Step 7 Stir in tomatoes, beans, stock, and meatballs.
- Step 8 Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Step 9 Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Step 10 Remove from heat, and stir in spinach.
- Step 11 Spoon into bowls, and top with cheese.