Deviled Chicken Lollipops
September 30, 2018
: 4-6 servings
- 12 chicken drumettes, skin on
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 slices sandwich sourdough bread, crusts trimmed, torn into pieces
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 green onions, green and white part, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey mustard
- Hot sauce, optional
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Step 2 Stand drumettes on its wide end and, holding the narrow bone at the top, use a paring knife to push and scrape the skin and meat downward to expose the bone and make a plump “lollipop” of chicken at the bottom.
- Step 3 Repeat with the remaining drumettes.
- Step 4 Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Step 5 Pulse the bread in a food processor to make coarse bread crumbs, (about 12 times).
- Step 6 Add the garlic, parsley, green onions, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, to taste, and continue to pulse until finely chopped but not a paste.
- Step 7 Transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl and toss with melted butter.
- Step 8 Brush each drumettes with some honey mustard.
- Step 9 Then press and roll each one in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Step 10 Arrange the drumettes (standing up if you can) on a rack set over a baking sheet.
- Step 11 Roast until chicken is cooked and the bread crumbs are golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Step 12 Serve drumettes hot or at room temperature with hot sauce.