September 13, 2018
: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter plus 2 tablespoons melted
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 4 large egg yolks plus 5 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 2 Butter six 4-ounce soufflé ramekins with the melted butter using a pastry brush with an upward motion.
- Step 3 Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon Parmesan into the 6 ramekins to coat.
- Step 4 Run a finger around the inside lip of the ramekins to clean off any excess, so that the soufflé rises more evenly.
- Step 5 Mix 1/2 cup milk with the cornmeal in a small bowl.
- Step 6 Bring the remaining cup milk and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to a boil over medium heat in a small pot, and then add the cornmeal mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Step 7 Let cool slightly, and then mix in the egg yolks, salt, cayenne and the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Step 8 Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer, on medium-high speed until they hold soft peaks.
- Step 9 Gently fold the egg whites into the cornmeal mixture and divide among the prepared ramekins.
- Step 10 Put them on a baking sheet and bake until they have puffed and risen and the tops are browned and firm, about 25 minutes.
- Step 11 Serve hot within 5 to 10 minutes (the soufflés may deflate slightly).