Chicken Noodle Soup
September 16, 2018
: 8-10 servings
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) fryer chicken, cut up
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 whole bay leaves
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery, with leafy green tops
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup Sherry
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, optional
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Crusty French bread, for serving
- Step 1 For the stock: add all ingredients to a soup pot.
- Step 2 Cook until chicken is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Step 3 Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool.
- Step 4 Remove and discard bay leaves and onion. You should have approximately 3 quarts of stock.
- Step 5 When chicken is cool enough to touch, pick bones clean, discarding bones, skin, and cartilage.
- Step 6 Set chicken aside.
- Step 7 For the soup: bring stock back to a boil, add carrots, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Step 8 Add celery and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 9 Add egg noodles and cook according to directions on package.
- Step 10 When noodles are done, add chicken, mushrooms, parsley, sherry and rosemary.
- Step 11 Add Parmesan and cream, if using.
- Step 12 Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Step 13 Adjust seasoning, if needed, by adding salt and pepper. Enjoy along with a nice hot crusty loaf of French bread.