Cajun Bacon Tuna Casserole
May 29, 2019
: 6 servings
- 12 ounces retina cooked al dente (don’t overcook!)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I use low fat)
- 2-4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 pieces cooked turkey bacon crumbled, or regular
- 1 (10 ounce can) diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup petite frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (5 ounce can) Albacore Tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 3/4 cups (+ 3 tablespoons) cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375F degrees F.
- Step 2 Melt butter in olive oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet.
- Step 3 Add red onions and sauté 2 minutes.
- Step 4 Add red and green bell peppers and sauté 1 minute.
- Step 5 Add garlic, red pepper flakes and sauté 30 seconds.
- Step 6 Sprinkle in flour and cook while stirring for 3 minutes, or until raw flour smell is gone.
- Step 7 Turn heat to low and slowly whisk in 2 cups chicken broth, then milk, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Step 8 Turn heat to medium high and bring to a simmer.
- Step 9 Stir in Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper and continue to simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Step 10 Stir in bacon, tomatoes, peas and tuna until combined and heated through.
- Step 11 Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan and mozzarella cheese until melted.
- Step 12 Stir in pasta until well coated, adding an additional 1/4+ chicken broth if sauce has become too thick.
- Step 13 For even creamier pasta, stir in 1/2 cup sour cream (optional).
- Step 14 Pour half of pasta into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Step 15 Top with 3/4 cup cheddar cheese (or more for extra cheesiness) then remaining pasta.
- Step 16 Stir 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese (or more for extra cheesiness) and 1/4 panko breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over top of pasta.
- Step 17 Lightly spray the top with nonstick baking spray and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted then broil until panko is golden.