Braised Port Lamb Shanks
September 14, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 large lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery, minced
- 1 small leek, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tawny port
- 1 cup veal stock
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 Mix the coriander, fennel, and peppercorns in a small frying pan.
- Step 2 Toast on medium-high heat until aromatic and slightly darker, about 2 minutes.
- Step 3 Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, crush the spices.
- Step 4 Add the salt.
- Step 5 Rub each shank with the spice blend.
- Step 6 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Step 7 Heat the oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Step 8 Add the shanks to the skillet.
- Step 9 Cook until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Step 10 Add the onion, carrots, celery, and leek.
- Step 11 Sauté over medium heat until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Step 12 Add the port, veal stock, garlic, rosemary, and thyme to the skillet.
- Step 13 Cover the skillet with a lid or foil.
- Step 14 Place the skillet in the oven and braise the lamb until tender, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the meat falls off the bone.
- Step 15 Remove the lamb shanks from the skillet and filter the sauce through a fine sieve over a stockpot.
- Step 16 On medium heat, let the sauce reduce by 1/2, for about 15 minutes.
- Step 17 Meanwhile, in another skillet, melt the butter and add the lamb shank.
- Step 18 Coat them with honey.
- Step 19 Caramelize the shanks on all sides over medium heat on the stove for about 5 minutes, adding a ladle of the sauce.
- Step 20 Keep warm.
- Step 21 Serve the lamb shanks with the sauce, buttered green beans and a parsnips mash or any other mash to taste.
- Step 22 Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Step 23 Let the lamb cool then place in the refrigerator covered.
- Step 24 Reheat in a 350 degrees F. oven for 1/2 hour before serving.