Beef & Cheese Manicotti
September 19, 2018
: 6 servings
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 14 (8-ounce package) manicotti
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole-milk ricotta
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Step 1 Heat a heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Step 2 Add 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, onion and ground beef.
- Step 3 Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Saute until the meat browns and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Remove from the heat, and cool.
- Step 6 Brush 1 teaspoon of oil over a large baking sheet.
- Step 7 Cook the manicotti in a large pot of boiling salted water until slightly softened, but still very firm to the bite, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Step 8 Using a slotted spoon, transfer the manicotti from the pot to the oiled baking sheet and cool.
- Step 9 Meanwhile, combine the ricotta, 1 1/2 to 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and parsley.
- Step 10 Add the garlic, salt, and pepper to taste, and mix.
- Step 11 Stir the cooled meat mixture into the cheese mixture.
- Step 12 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 13 Brush the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish.
- Step 14 Spoon 1 1/2 cups of the marinara sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Step 15 Fill the manicotti with the cheese-meat mixture.
- Step 16 Arrange the stuffed pasta in a single layer in the prepared dish and spoon the remaining sauce over.
- Step 17 Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, then the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan over the stuffed pasta.
- Step 18 Dot entire dish with the butter pieces.
- Step 19 Bake the manicotti uncovered until heated through and the sauce bubbles on the sides of the dish, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Step 20 Let the manicotti stand 5 minutes and serve.