Asparagus with Scallops Browned Butter & Prosciutto
September 13, 2018
: 4 servings
- 1 pound white asparagus, peeled, or green asparagus
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 pound sea scallops
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Step 1 Cook the asparagus in a large sauce-pan of boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Step 2 Using tongs transfer the asparagus to a colander and leave the pan of water simmering on the stove.
- Step 3 Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet.
- Step 4 Add the prosciutto and cook over low heat until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Step 5 Transfer the prosciutto to a plate.
- Step 6 Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the skillet.
- Step 7 Add the scallops, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- Step 8 Transfer the scallops to a plate.
- Step 9 Add the lemon zest to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until browned, about 1 minute.
- Step 10 Add the lemon juice and simmer for 10 seconds.
- Step 11 Add the stock and simmer, scraping the bottom of the skillet, until reduced to a rich glaze, about 3 minutes.
- Step 12 Swirl in the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
- Step 13 Return the scallops, along with any juices, to the skillet and cook over low heat until heated through.
- Step 14 Return the asparagus to the simmering water to heat through.
- Step 15 Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Step 16 Using tongs transfer the asparagus to a large platter and spoon the scallops and sauce over it.
- Step 17 Top with the fried prosciutto.