September 20, 2018
: 4-5 servings
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 (28-ounce) cans peeled plum tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Step 2 Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof saute pan over medium heat, add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Step 3 Add the red pepper flakes and dried oregano and cook for 1 minute more.
- Step 4 Add the vodka and continue cooking until the mixture is reduced by half.
- Step 5 Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes through a sieve and crush them into the pan with your hands.
- Step 6 Add 2 teaspoons salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Step 7 Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and place it in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Step 8 Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Step 9 Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta al dente.
- Step 10 Drain and set aside.
- Step 11 Place the tomato mixture in a blender and puree in batches until the sauce is a smooth consistency.
- Step 12 Return to the pan.
- Step 13 Reheat the sauce, add 2 tablespoons fresh oregano and enough heavy cream to make the sauce a creamy consistency.
- Step 14 Add salt and pepper, to taste, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 15 Toss the pasta into the sauce and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Step 16 Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Step 17 Serve with an additional sprinkle of Parmesan and a sprinkle of fresh oregano on each plate.