Green Tomato Pie Turnovers
September 19, 2018
: 4 servings
- For the green tomato marmalade:
- 5 green tomatoes
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the sugar dough:
- 4 ounces sweet butter
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 ounces sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Step 1 Cut 4 tomatoes in small dice, and cut the last one in 5 slices.
- Step 2 In a small pan, boil the honey, sugar, until sugar is dissolved and has nice golden color.
- Step 3 Add ginger, and the vanilla.
- Step 4 Then, add all the tomatoes. Try to keep the sliced ones separated.
- Step 5 Cook for 20 to 30 minutes very slowly.
- Step 6 Cut the butter in small pieces on top of the flour.
- Step 7 Mix with your fingers, then, put in the middle, the water, the sugar, salt and the egg yolks.
- Step 8 Mix everything together but do NOT work the dough too long.
- Step 9 Let sit in a cool place for 2 hours.
- Step 10 Add the toasted almonds, roll it down, and cut 12 circles of 5 inches each.
- Step 11 In the middle of 6 of them, put 1 full spoon of marmalade.
- Step 12 Brush the side of the dough with egg, and cover with the other 6. (Or you could fold them over to make half-moon baked pies.)
- Step 13 Cut the dough if you have to for them to look alike.
- Step 14 Brush some more egg on top, then, bake for 18 minutes in a preheated 400 degree F. oven.
- Step 15 Let them cool down, and sprinkle with powdered sugar and the sliced tomatoes on top.