Vanilla Tapioca Pudding
September 17, 2018
: 6 servings
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean split
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- Step 1 Put the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator until well-chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Step 2 In a medium saucepan, cook the vanilla bean in the milk over moderate heat, stirring, until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Stir in the sugar, tapioca and salt.
- Step 4 Cover and remove from the heat.
- Step 5 Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Uncover and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring frequently.
- Step 7 Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Step 8 Whisk in 1 cup of the hot milk.
- Step 9 Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Step 10 Pour the pudding into a medium heatproof bowl and let stand, stirring, until slightly cooled, about 10 minutes.
- Step 11 Remove the vanilla bean, scraping the seeds from each half into the pudding.
- Step 12 Stir to incorporate.
- Step 13 Rinse the vanilla bean and save for another use.
- Step 14 Open the can of chilled coconut milk and, without stirring it, spoon off 1/2 cup of the thick cream that has risen to the top.
- Step 15 Save the remaining coconut milk for another use.
- Step 16 Stir the coconut cream into the pudding until thoroughly incorporated.
- Step 17 Spoon the pudding into six 1/2-cup ramekins, cups or glasses.
- Step 18 Refrigerate overnight.
- Step 19 If desired, cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.